House: diy foot stool

Sundays are for attempting diy aren’t they? Or have I got this all wrong and Sundays are usually reserved for relaxing? That sounds more like it! So anyway, a couple of weeks ago on a slightly hungover whim, I thought it would be a great idea to make some kind of a foot stool type of furniture. Obviously shops don’t sell anything like that and I know exactly what I’m doing. That doesn’t sound quite right either but that’s what thinking on a hangover does for you!

After dismantling all the wardrobes that we’re left in the house, I have a nice stock of spare/scrap wood waiting in the garage.

The most logical first step would have been to do a drawing with dimensions and joint plans. So that’s not what I did first. I went to B&Q and bought everything I might need, a saw, nails, wood glue and a staple gun. What could possibly go wrong?

Stage 1 – attempting to make a square.

Once I had my 4 pieces of (roughly) the same sized planks, the question was how to fix them together? I thought I’d try the glue first. That was a mistake. There’s some nice glue puddles dried into my living room floor now to memorialise that error. Next try was nails. They seem to have worked but they’ve definitely shown that I can’t cut a straight line and they are crazy noisy to put in so best not to try this too late at night if you don’t want your neighbors to hate you.

Stage 2 – finding a bottom

So even though there’s a massive amount of wood in the garage, I chose a piece that was slightly too small. Perfect logic again. My thinking was probably fuelled by laziness and a complete lack of faith in my abilities. To be fair to myself, all the bottom is covered, there’s just slightly less overlap on two of the edges, if that makes any sense at all?

Stage 3 – finding a top

Just like the bottom, the top is also a smidge too small. I think I’m going to try and turn it into a design feature, well fitting lids are so last year.

Stage 4 – polishing a poop (part 1)

I don’t have that much faith that this can be saved to be a beautiful piece of furniture, but I’m pretty sure any kind of improvement can be made. I had a quick look on the internet for proper upholstery supplies, and they are expensive! No amount of money could save this thing, so I thought I’d truly embrace the diy spirit and use anything I could find in the garage. A few Pinterest ‘tutorials’ said to wrap all the ugliness in with wadding. I’m not buying wadding but I do have old curtains. Do two uglies make something pretty? Most definitely not but it should help hide the couple of nails that are trying to poke through.

Stage 5 – polishing a poop (part 2)

Although I hate this red being back in the living room, it does do a pretty good job at hiding the dodgey edges and rogue nails. A bit of padding on the top seemed like a good idea too, for comfort at all that. So the next step was hiding the red. There were a couple of bits of knitting I’d done a while back and had no idea what to do with them. Perfect for a project with no direction. Unfortunately there was only enough knitting for the sides, which leaves the top still being an issue. What better way to hide any issues than with something else that doesn’t really fit?

So. My diy skills definitely need some work. A lot of work. I don’t think it’s completely horrendous for a first try but I’m not too sure how long it will be living in the house for. I’m torn between scrapping the whole thing and starting again or trying a ‘stage 6 – polishing a poop (part 3)’ we’ll see. Maybe I’ll see how well it works as a footstool before I make any decisions.

Stay tuned!

Much love!

Hannah

xxx

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s