Craft: mini jewellery part two

A while ago when I was still going to classes, I was struggling to decide what to do next after one of my (many) disasters that could easily be considered fails. I thought I’d take things back to basics and just have a little play around with textures. If in doubt, texture is usually the way forward. After creating a few pieces of double sided pieces, I had the crazy idea to chop these all into tiny pieces and take it from there. At this point I did have a rough idea of what I wanted to do, but no real idea how to pull it off.

IMG_9288(1)

My very vague idea was to have a miniature mix and match collection of rings, pendants and earrings. None of the strips I’d cut would be long enough to make a full ring so I’d wanted to layer the strips to create a pieced together thing that would look good. How? Absolutely no idea how you form two tiny pieces of metal in a way that they will both fit perfectly together so they can be soldered. No clue. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be amazing.

img_20180710_184757.jpg

When the ring pieces weren’t showing much promise, I decided to take a new approach. Forget over complicating things and stick with a mini range of pendants. This was a tester project after all and it would just be nice to get something finished and rethink my original from the beginning with a solid plan of how to achieve what I want to do.

Luckily I had treated myself to a little power drill a few months ago. You can’t have a pendant without somewhere for a chain to go. It would have been nicer to have smaller holes, especially in the smaller pieces, but that’s all I had available and with not knowing if anything would work in the first place, I didn’t want to go out and spend more money.

With jewellery, I love being able to stack things up or keep them simple. Basically I love having the option of adding more if I feel like being a bit more dramatic. I wanted to play around with all the pendant pieces being on separate chains for ultimate versatility. It was just a case of trialing different lengths to see what works best. A mannequin and a box of pins were complete lifesavers here.

img_20180710_184818.jpg

I’m not completely giving up on my original idea, I just need to put a bit more planning into how it will work, how the soldering will go, and how comfortable potentially thick rings will be.

Stay tuned!

Much love!

Hannah

xxx

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s